Last-minute print ad? No problem. Here’s how it’s done.
We often receive last-minute calls for print advertisements. They go something like this: “Peggy, can you do this ad quickly for me! I let this slip through the cracks.”
Yes, we’re available. Yes, we can create the ad. However, before we start designing, we need more information. Can you answer these questions?
• When is the ad due?
Is the deadline today, tomorrow, or next week? If you’ve missed the cut-off date (“due yesterday”), find out if the ad deadline been extended. Is the deadline a reservation date (save an advertising space), or is it the insertion date for sending the art files?
• Is the ad black and white or color?
How will the ad be printed? Examples: Glossy magazines are printed in full-color. Event sponsorships for charities are printed with a high-speed copier, and all interior pages are black and white to save costs. Web banner ads are full-color.
• Ad specs: What size is the ad? What are the dimensions (width x height) in inches? Online banner ads are defined in pixels. Ask your publication to send ad / material submission instructions, also known as a spec sheet. Spec sheets will define sizes; color; required file format, such as high-resolution PDF; and the publication or event program’s contact info, just in case there are any questions prior to sending files.
• Do you have a specific message? What is the purpose of your ad? Some examples: an offer (or product on sale); a congratulatory message; or awareness campaigns. Awareness ads seek name recognition versus sales.
• Are you providing the copy, or should we brainstorm ideas? Have the headline and message been written? Do you need assistance? N-K has expertise and experience in generating ideas and writing ad copy.
• Is there a particular photo or illustration that you want to use? Options: Use an existing image that is part of a larger advertising campaign or company brochure versus purchasing a new image. A very simple option, depending on ad size, uses the logo, corporate colors and company contact info.
• Are you purchasing the ad, or will N-K Creative buy the ad placement?
Some of our clients have existing contracts with newspapers and magazines. They are responsible for payment to the publication. If you don’t have experience placing ads and prefer a turn-key solution, N-K will purchase advertising placement with your approval.
Don’t let your ad fall through the cracks. Be prepared and provide as much information as possible. N-K is ready help you with your next ad and make the deadline.